Saturday, March 29, 2014

Sweet potato crust mini pizzas


 photo foto1-9.jpg


I have found that one of the most important things in life is taking the time out to treat yourself every now and then, even when you are extremely busy and stressed, because that is usually when you need it the most. It does not need to be long, sometimes 15 minutes is enough other times more is needed, but the important thing is that you make time to relax and do something just for you. 

This week I have been so tired and stressed out + I’ve been dealing with pain in my back from an old surgery. I didn’t take the time out to deal with it and let my body rest and yet I didn’t really get anything done because I was just too tired and stressed to study properly or do anything really. When I woke up this morning I finally got myself together and decided to start the day off right with a good long breakfast, followed by a quick shopping trip where I bought flowers and ingredients to make pizza and fresh juice + some lovely fresh strawberries. After spending some de-stressing time in the kitchen experimenting with the pizzas, I enjoyed my lunch while watching a good movie, followed by a little power nap. Now I didn’t start studying until quite late today, but for the first time this week I actually got to study properly as I was no longer a stressed out mess. 

So my point is remember to treat yourselves lovelies, whether that be with some good food and a movie or a long walk, a manicure, reading a good book etc. – you are definitely worth it and to quote Diane Von Furstenberg "The most important relationship you have in life is the relationship you have with yourself." - so you better work on it ;)

 photo foto4-6.jpg

Ingredients for the crust – yields 3-4 mini pizzas
1 cup cooked sweet potato
1 cup oats
2 eggs
1 teaspoon coconut oil
1 tablespoon psyllium husk 
1 tablespoon chia seeds
1/4 teaspoon baking powder
Sal & pepper

The crust was inspired by Fit 4 Livin' and Fresh, Fit and Healthy :)

 photo foto1-7.jpg

Directions:

  1. Preheat your oven to 200 degrees c / 400 degress f
  2. Place the sweet potato, eggs and oats in a food processor or blender and blend well, add the rest of the ingredients and blend again
  3. Cover a baking tray with baking paper and use a spoon and spatula to form the pizzas on the tray – the dough is quite sticky so run the utensils under cold water before you start.
  4. Let it bake for about 15-20 minutes depending on the size/thickness of your pizzas
  5. Add your toppings of choice – I added tomato pizza sauce that I spiced up with some garlic, chilli and paprika, fresh mozzarella, chopped red bell pepper and red union – I added the rest of the toppings (arugula and sliced beet) when the pizzas were done baking.
  6. Bake the pizzas for another 5-10 minutes and you’re done! I enjoyed the pizzas with some fresh beet juice (find the recipe here!) and strawberries for dessert :)


 photo foto1-8.jpg
 photo foto2-7.jpg 

8 comments:

  1. Yum. I cant wait to try this for myself

    ReplyDelete
  2. this is so clever! I will definitely be trying it out :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Is it possible to replace the eggs with flaxeggs to make it vegan? :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have no idea sorry, I don't even know what flax eggs are :/

      Delete
  4. How did you cook the sweet potato? Planning on making this for the friday night family dinner tomorrow! Looks amazing

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I boiled it for about 20-25 minutes I think :) I hope you'll love the recipe, it makes me so happy when people try my little creations

      Delete
    2. Omg, I just had the best pizza ever! Seriously, that crust.... I am sooo making this again! Thank you so much!
      I peeled and cut the sweet potato into small pieces, and then I boiled them for about 12 minutes or so. I even got some sweet potato left, so I made some potato mash out of it :)

      Delete