Sunday, April 6, 2014

Superfood Sundays


 photo DSC_4565-1.jpg

I usually only post recipes on here, but I’ve decided to add a couple of new categories – all food and health related of course! The first new initiative I would like to introduce you to are 'Superfood Sundays' where I each Sunday will introduce you to one of my favorite superfoods, write about its benefits, share recipes using the particular superfood and so much more - I hope you like the idea :)

Today is the first Superfood Sunday and I would like to start it off with an introduction to superfoods in general as I get a lot of questions about the term and its meaning. I would like to point out that I am not a nutritionist or anything of the sort and the information presented is simply knowledge I have acquired on my journey to a healthier life - please feel free to do your own research as well, this is simply meant as a short introduction for those unfamiliar with the world of superfoods :)

So what exactly are these so called superfoods? 
Superfoods are a special category of foods found in nature that contain major dietary benefits and healing effects. They are some of the most nutritionally dense foods on the planet, high in essential vitamins, minerals and disease-fighting antioxidants. They have been proven to not only prevent, but also reverse some of the effects of aging, certain cancer types, cardiovascular diseases, hypertension, type II diabetes, lower cholesterol etc. - each week I will address the health benefits of a new superfood and specify and explain in detail.

Superfoods are truly nature’s medicine and many superfoods have been used by indigenous people for thousands of years for their healing powers and high nutritional value – for example Aztecs and Mayans both consumed chia seeds for their exceptional nutritional benefits improving their stamina and energy levels.

But which kinds of food can actually be classified as so called super foods?
Superfoods are both of the more exotic kind that comes in the form of powders and supplements - these types of superfoods are very nutrient dense, but unfortunately often also quite expensive - however, superfoods are also the very well known foods that can be found in your local supermarket - you might actually be consuming lost of superfoods without even knowing it! Apples, onions, blueberries and broccoli are examples of superfoods that we all know and consume regularly, they are not only inexpensive, but they can be found in almost every grocery store no matter where you are in the world.

Now for the big question; which superfoods should you incorporate into your diet?
Some might say all, or at least as many as possible, but in my opinion the most important thing is a well-rounded, wholesome diet that you enjoy to consume. You shouldn’t eat something you don’t like just because it is healthy and you shouldn’t feel bad if you can’t afford the expensive superfood powders - they are in no way a necessity in a healthy diet! I personally try to incorporate as much as the inexpensive superfoods found in my local supermarket as possible (still, only the ones that I actually like the taste of), but I also like to splurge once in a while and spoil myself with some of the more exotic superfoods like acai powder, chia seeds, goji berries and vitamineral green powder – I will do posts on all of these superfoods in the near future, stay posted! ;)

sources/additional information: Food Matters, SuperFoods RX, One Green PlanetDR. OZ

 photo DSC_4575.jpg

For next weeks ‘Superfood Sunday’ I will do a post on chia seeds and it’s nutritional benefits
+ share some of my favorite ways to incorporate chia seeds into my diet.  
I hope you like this new initiative and if you have any questions just let me know! :)

4 comments:

  1. I love this idea ♥ Can't wait!!!! Your photos are amazing! xx

    ReplyDelete